FTSE 100 rises on trade tariff respite, Persimmon drags on housebuilders
* FTSE 100 up 0.3 pct
* FTSE 250 down 0.4 pct
* Banks, miners top gainers on main index
* Centamin slips on mid-caps (Adds news items, analyst quote, updates share moves)
Feb 25 (Reuters) - Britain's FTSE 100 rose after U.S.President Donald Trump delayed raising tariffs on Chineseimports, while housebuilders fell on reports that Persimmon'sgovernment house-funding scheme was under scrutiny from thecountry's housing minister.
The FTSE 100 .FTSE was up 0.3 percent by 0948 GMT whilethe FTSE 250 .FTMC was down 0.4 percent as Centamin shed afifth of its value after weak results and forecast.
Global markets greeted with relief Trump's declaration onSunday that he would delay an increase in tariffs on Chineseimports, citing "substantial progress" in trade talks. urn:newsml:reuters.com:*:nL1N20J0B1
As a result, mining companies .FTNMX1770 extended theirhighs and Asia-exposed financial heavyweights such as PrudentialFinancial PRU.L and Standard CharteredSTAN.L also advanced.
But Persimmon PSN.L skidded 6 percent to the bottom of themain index after reports that Britain's housing minister, JamesBrokenshire, was pressing the builder on how it operates withina public funding scheme for new house buyers. urn:newsml:reuters.com:*:nL3N20K303
Rival homebuilders Barratt BDEV.L , Taylor WimpeyTW.L and Berkeley BKGH.L all fell.
BunzlBNZL.L fell 3.8 percent after the company said itsmargins remained under pressure from rising costs, even as itsfull-year profit beat expectations. urn:newsml:reuters.com:*:nL3N20K2SK
Primark owner Associated British FoodsABF.L shed 2.2percent after guiding to flat first-half earnings. The company'sfinance chief separately said it was "unbelievable" that theBritish government was contemplating a no-deal Brexit.
Prime Minister Theresa May put off a parliamentary vote onher Brexit deal until March 12, which lawmakers see as a tacticto get more MPs to back her proposed deal -- already rejectedonce -- in an attempt to avoid a split from the European Unionwithout an agreement. urn:newsml:reuters.com:*:nL5N20J0EX
"It appears that May is running down the clock ... maybe sheis thinking some MPs who don't like her deal may like it in twoweeks time when there is very little time left on the clock,"said CMC Markets analyst David Madden.
CentaminCEY.L slipped 22 percent, on track for its worstday in more than four years, as its annual gold production felland a 2019 production forecast missed Jefferies' estimates.
Sub-prime lender Provident Financial PFG.L dipped 2.8percent after rejecting an unsolicited takeover offer from itssmaller rival Non-Standard FinanceNSF.L . urn:newsml:reuters.com:*:nL3N20K2SN
Also weighing on markets were data from the Confederation ofBritish Industry (CBI) showing the country's services industrywas its gloomiest since the 2009 financial crisis, caused by the"unmistakably negative" impact of Brexit uncertainty. urn:newsml:reuters.com:*:nL5N20H5SC (Reporting by Muvija M and Shashwat Awasthi in Bengaluru;editing by Larry King) ((Muvija.M@thomsonreuters.com; within U.S. +1 646 223 8780,outside U.S. +91 80 6749 3638; Reuters Messaging:email@example.com))
(( For related prices, Reuters users may click on - * UK stock report .L FTSE index: 0#.FTS6 techMARK 100 index: .FTT1X FTSE futures: 0#FFI: Gilt futures: 0#FLG: Smallcap index: .FTSC FTSE 250 index: .FTMC FTSE 350 index: .FTLC Market digest: .AD.L Top 10 by vol: .AV.L Top price gainers: .NG.L Top % gainers: .PG.L Top price losers: .NL.L Top % losers: .PL.L
* For related news, click on - * UK hot stocks: [HOT and GB] Wall Street: .N Gilts report: GB/ Euro bond report GVD/EUR Pan European stock report: .EUTokyo stocks: .T HK stocks: .HK Sterling report: GBP/ Dollar report: USD/
* For company prices, click on - * Company directory: UKEQ By sector: FTAX
* For pan-European market data, click on - * European Equities speed guide................ EUR/EQUITY FTSE Eurotop 300 index........................... .FTEU3 DJ STOXX index................................... .STOXX Top 10 STOXX sectors........................ .PGL.STOXXS Top 10 EUROSTOXX sectors................... .PGL.STOXXES Top 10 Eurotop 300 sectors.................. .PGL.FTEU3S Top 25 European pct gainers.................... .PG.PEUR Top 25 European pct losers..................... .PL.PEUR ))