Franklin's (BEN) May AUM Rises on Higher Equity Assets

Shutterstock photo

Franklin Resources Inc.BEN announced preliminary assets under management (AUM) by its subsidiaries of $744.7 billion for May 2017. Results displayed marginal rise from $741.0 billion as of Apr 30, 2017. Moreover, the figure inched up 1% from the prior-year quarter.

Month-end total equity assets came in at $313.9 billion, slightly up from the prior month, and 3.8% year over year. Of the total equity assets, around 66% were from international sources, while the remaining 34% came from the U.S.

Total fixed income assets were $282.2 billion, slightly up from the previous month, but down 4.1% from $294.3 billion recorded in May 2016. Overall, tax-free assets accounted for only 25% of the fixed income assets, while the remaining 75% was taxable.

Franklin recorded $142.3 billion in hybrid assets, which was slightly up from $141.4 billion recorded in the prior month and 6.0% from $134.3 billion recorded in May 2016.

Cash management funds were reported at $6.3 billion, down from $6.4 billion in the prior month and in line with the figure recorded as of May 2016.

Though the company's global presence helps it diversify AUM, regulatory restrictions and sluggish economic recovery might impair growth and escalate costs. Moreover, Franklin is subject to numerous regulations by the U.S. and non-U.S. regulators, which pose concerns to its operations, and may even hurt profitability.

Franklin currently carries a Zacks Rank #2 (Buy). The company's stock gained 7.2% over the past six months, outperforming 6.4% growth recorded by the Zacks categorized Investment Management industry.

Among others, Lazard Ltd. LAZ carrying a Zacks Rank #2 is worth considering. The company's shares gained over 5.8% over the past six months. The Zacks Consensus Estimate for the stock inched up around 1% to $3.40, over the last 30 days, for 2017.

You can see the complete list of today's Zacks #1 Rank (Strong Buy) stocks here .

Among other asset managers, Invesco Ltd. IVZ and Legg Mason Inc. LM are expected to release preliminary AUM results for May 2017, early next week.

More Stock News: This Is Bigger than the iPhone!

IIt could become the mother of all technological revolutions. Apple sold a mere 1 billion iPhones in 10 years but a new breakthrough is expected to generate more than 27 billion devices in just 3 years, creating a $1.7 trillion market.

Zacks has just released a Special Report that spotlights this fast-emerging phenomenon and 6 tickers for taking advantage of it. If you don't buy now, you may kick yourself in 2020. Click here for the 6 trades >>

Want the latest recommendations from Zacks Investment Research? Today, you can download 7 Best Stocks for the Next 30 Days. Click to get this free report

Invesco PLC (IVZ): Free Stock Analysis Report

Legg Mason, Inc. (LM): Free Stock Analysis Report

Franklin Resources, Inc. (BEN): Free Stock Analysis Report

Lazard Ltd. (LAZ): Free Stock Analysis Report

To read this article on click here.

The views and opinions expressed herein are the views and opinions of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Nasdaq, Inc.

The views and opinions expressed herein are the views and opinions of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Nasdaq, Inc.

In This Story


Other Topics


Latest Markets Videos


    Zacks is the leading investment research firm focusing on stock research, analysis and recommendations. In 1978, our founder discovered the power of earnings estimate revisions to enable profitable investment decisions. Today, that discovery is still the heart of the Zacks Rank. A wealth of resources for individual investors is available at

    Learn More