Markets
CI

Express Scripts Holding Co Stock Soars on Cigna Corporation Deal

An image of rising and declining prices
Credit: Shutterstock photo

InvestorPlace - Stock Market News, Stock Advice & Trading Tips

Express Scripts Holding Co (NASDAQ: ESRX ) stock was on the rise Thursday following news of a deal with Cigna Corporation (NYSE: CI ).

Express Scripts Holding Co Stock Soars on Cigna Corporation Deal

Source: Shutterstock

The deal will have Cigna Corporation acquiring Express Scripts Holding Co for $67 billion. The includes covering $15 billion in debt that ESRX currently holds. Both companies' Boards of Directors have given the deal their approval.

The offer for Express Scripts Holding Co that has ESRX stock moving today will be a mix of cash and stock. This will have Cigna Corporation paying $48.75 in cash and 0.2434 shares of stock per each share of ESRX stock. This has the deal valuing the pharmacy benefit management company at $54 billion.

Cigna Corporation's offer for Express Scripts Holding Co represents a 31% premium to the stock's closing price of $73.42 on March 7, 2018. The deal will have holders of ESRX stock owning 36% of the new company and CI shareholders owning the remaining 64%.

Cigna Corporation and Express Scripts Holding Co are planning to see several strategic benefits from the merger. This includes expanded customer choice, patient-provider alignment and personalized value.

Cigna Corporation is planning to continue operations out of its headquarters in Bloomfield, Conn., once the acquisition is complete. Express Scripts Holding Co will also keep its current headquarters in St. Louis, Miss., after the deal closes

Cigna Corporation and Express Scripts Holding Co are expecting the deal to close by the end of 2018. However, it will first need approval from regulators, as well as shareholders.

ESRX stock was up 8% and CI stock was down 11% as of Thursday afternoon.

More From InvestorPlace

As of this writing, William White did not hold a position in any of the aforementioned securities.

Compare Brokers

The post Express Scripts Holding Co Stock Soars on Cigna Corporation Deal appeared first on InvestorPlace .

The views and opinions expressed herein are the views and opinions of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Nasdaq, Inc.


The views and opinions expressed herein are the views and opinions of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Nasdaq, Inc.

In This Story

CI

Other Topics

Stocks

Latest Markets Videos

    InvestorPlace

    InvestorPlace is one of America’s largest, longest-standing independent financial research firms. Started over 40 years ago by a business visionary named Tom Phillips, we publish detailed research and recommendations for self-directed investors, financial advisors and money managers.

    Learn More