U.S. market indexes were mixed on Thursday with the Dow Jones reaching a new high. For the day, the Dow Jones Industrial Average closed at 20100.91 for a gain of 32.40 points or 0.16%. The S&P 500 closed at 2296.68 for a loss of -1.69 points or -0.07%. The Nasdaq Composite closed at 5655.18 for a loss of -1.16 points or -0.02%. The VIX Volatility Index was lower for the day at 10.63 for a loss of -0.18 points or -1.67%.
Thursday's market movers
Economic reports affecting market trading included the following:
- International trade in goods reported a deficit of -$65.0 billion.
- Jobless claims increased by 22,000 to 259,000.
- The Chicago Fed National Activity Index increased to 0.14 from -0.33.
- The PMI Services Index increased to 55.1 from 53.4.
- New home sales decreased to 536,000 SAAR from 598,000 SAAR.
- The Leading Indicators Index increased 0.5%.
In the Dow Jones Industrial Average, the following stocks led gains:
DuPont ( DD ) 1.72%
Boeing ( BA ) 1.05%
Goldman Sachs ( GS ) 0.98%
UnitedHealth ( UNH ) 0.94%
Microsoft ( MSFT ) 0.93%
JPMorgan (JPM) 0.84%
In the broad market, materials led gains. Technology was lower with the S&P 500 technology sector down 0.28%.
In small-caps, the Russell 2000 Index closed at 1375.60 for a loss of -6.84 points or -0.49%. The S&P 600 Small-Cap Index closed at 841.79 for a loss of -4.99 points or -0.59%. The Dow Jones Small-Cap Growth TSM Index closed at 8149.07 for a loss of -37.68 points or -0.46%. The Dow Jones Small-Cap Value TSM Index closed at 9831.93 for a loss of -22.28 points or -0.23%.
Other notable indexes
Other notable index closes included the S&P 400 Mid-Cap Index at 1704.98 for a loss of -5.31 points or -0.31%; the S&P 100 Index at 1013.12 for a loss of -0.12 points or -0.01%; the Russell 3000 Index at 1366.37 for a loss of -1.62 points or -0.12%; the Russell 1000 Index at 1275.30 for a loss of -1.10 points or -0.09%; and the Dow Jones U.S. Select Dividend Index at 643.68 for a loss of -2.32 points or -0.36%.
Start afree 7-day trial of Premium Membershipto GuruFocus.
- Warning! GuruFocus has detected 4 Warning Signs with BABA. Click here to check it out.
- BABA 15-Year Financial Data
- The intrinsic value of BABA
- Peter Lynch Chart of BABA
This article first appeared on GuruFocus .
The views and opinions expressed herein are the views and opinions of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Nasdaq, Inc.