MoneyMorning.com Report - For Oct. 1, 2015, here is the biggest news moving the Dow Jones Industrial Average today...
Dow Futures Today
On Wednesday, the Dow Jones Industrial Average today ended the worst quarter for international markets in four years on a high note. The Dow added 234 points. All three major U.S. indices finished their worst quarter since 2011. The Dow was the worst performing, declining roughly 7.5%. Wednesday's gains were fueled on the back of a strong employment report issued by Automated Data Processing. The firm said that the private sector added 200,000 jobs in September.
Dow futures today forecast a 43-point gain as traders digested reports on the health of manufacturing sectors around the globe.
This morning, China reported its Caixin Manufacturing PMI, a gauge of nationwide manufacturing activity, fell to a six-and-a-half year low of 47.2 in September. That compares with a reading of 47.3 in August.
Today, Markit Economics will announce manufacturing reports for the United States, Singapore, Russia, Spain, Italy, France, Britain, and the broader European economy.
Top News Moving the Dow Jones Industrial Average Today
- Today, PMI data will be central to the Dow's first day of the fourth quarter. Investors will also keep a tight eye on a report on motor vehicle sales. In addition, pay attention to an economic outlook speech by San Francisco Federal Reserve Bank John Williams.
- Congress met late into the evening yesterday in order to pass a resolution to prevent a government shutdown. The last government shutdown that lasted 16 days in October 2013 cost taxpayers $24 billion, among other economy-crippling effects. Here's a breakdown of what happens next .
- Oil prices are in focus today as traders react to global manufacturing reports and news that U.S crude inventories surged by 4 million barrels, even though analysts expected a decline of roughly 1.26 million for the week. Investors will keep a close eye on Hurricane Joaquin, which hit the Bahamas last night and threatens energy infrastructure on the east coast of the United States.
Earnings Reports for Oct. 1, 2015: MU, MKC, PRGS, CAMP
- Earnings Report, No. 1, MU: After the bell, Micron Technology Inc. (Nasdaq: MU) will report fiscal fourth-quarter earnings. Estimize analysts anticipate that the payment company will report an EPS of $0.42 on revenue of $3.63 billion, while Wall Street expects an EPS of $0.37 and revenue of $3.60 billion.
- Earnings Report, No. 2, MKC: Before the market opens, McCormick & Co. Inc. ( MKC ) will report fiscal third-quarter earnings. Estimize analysts anticipate that the payment company will report an EPS of $0.89 on revenue of $1.055 billion, while Wall Street expects earnings of $0.87 per share on top of similar revenue projections.
- Other companies reporting earnings include Progress Software Corp. (Nasdaq: PRGS) and CalAmp Corp. (Nasdaq: CAMP).
Stocks to Watch: TWTR , TSLA, IBB, VRX, CHK
- Stocks to Watch No. 1, VRX: Shares of Valeant Pharmaceuticals Intl Inc. ( VRX ) continued to climb in post-market hours after the stock jumped by 13% on Wednesday. The double-digit gains came after a rebound from a more than 20% plunge to start the week after Democrats in Congress asked to subpoena company executives over its decision to hike the price of two specialty drugs. During yesterday's session, biotech stocks stopped a long slide after last week's call by presidential candidate Hillary Clinton to implement price controls on specialty prescriptions. The iShares NASDAQ Biotechnology Index (ETF ) (Nasdaq: IBB) added a little more than 3% yesterday.
- Stocks toWatchNo. 2, TSLA: Shares of Tesla Motors Inc. (Nasdaq: TSLA) will be in focus this morning after opening up 2.1% Wednesday following the company's highly anticipated Model X event at its factory in Fremont, Calif. The most exciting component of the new vehicle is its falcon wing doors, which feature sensors that allow the doors to open even in tight spaces. Here's a breakdown of the event and the potential for the stock's price.
- Stocks to Watch No.3, TWTR: Shares of Twitter Inc. ( TWTR ) are on the move this morning on news that the company's board of directors is close to officially announcing that Jack Dorsey will maintain the CEO role on a permanent basis. Shareholders have been pushing for Dorsey, who is a co-founder of the company, after he assumed the temporary role earlier this year. The announcement of Dorsey's permanent appointment could come as soon as today.
- Stocks to Watch No.4, CHK: Shares of Chesapeake Energy Corp. ( CHK ) are in focus after the company announced plans to cut its workforce by 15% in the wake of falling natural gas and crude oil prices . The firm said that most of its layoffs will occur at its Oklahoma City headquarters.
Today's U.S. Economic Calendar (all times EDT)
- Challenger Job-Cut Report at 7:30 a.m.
- Jobless Claims at 8:30 a.m.
- Gallup US Payroll to Population at 8:30 a.m.
- PMI Manufacturing Index at 9:45 a.m.
- Bloomberg Consumer Comfort Index at 9:45 a.m.
- ISM Manufacturing Index at 10 a.m.
- Construction Spending at 10 a.m.
- EIA Natural Gas Report at 10:30 a.m.
- 3-Month Bill Announcement at 11 a.m.
- 6-Month Bill Announcement at 11 a.m.
- 3-Year Note Announcement at 11 a.m.
- 10-Year Note Announcement at 11 a.m.
- 30-Year Bond Announcement at 11 a.m.
- San Francisco Federal Reserve President John Williams Speaks at 2:30 p.m.
- Fed Balance Sheet at 4:30 p.m.
- Money Supply at 4:30 p.m.
What Investors Must Know This Week
- The One Stock to Profit from China's Trillion-Dollar Megaproject
- CHARTS: Gold Price Forecast Sees Rise Before 2016
- How to Protect Against the Biggest Threat to Your MoneyToday
Follow us on Twitter:@moneymorning.
To get full access to all Money Morning content including our latest Premium Report, "How to Make 2015 Your Wealthiest Year Ever," click here
About Money Morning: Money Morning gives you access to a team of ten market experts with more than 250 years of combined investing experience - for free . Our experts - who have appeared on FOXBusiness, CNBC, NPR, and BloombergTV - deliver daily investing tips and stock picks, provide analysis with actions to take, and answer your biggest market questions. Our goal is to help our millions of e-newsletter subscribers and Moneymorning.com visitors become smarter, more confident investors.
Disclaimer: © 2015 Money Morning and Money Map Press. All Rights Reserved. Protected by copyright of the United States and international treaties. Any reproduction, copying, or redistribution (electronic or otherwise, including the world wide web), of content from this webpage, in whole or in part, is strictly prohibited without the express written permission of Money Morning. 16 W. Madison St. Baltimore, MD, 21201.