MoneyMorningcom Report - For Dec 1, 2015, here's the top stock market news and stocks to watch based on today's market moves
How Did the Stock Market Do Today?
Dow Jones:17,88835; +16843;+095%
S&P 500: 2,10263; +2222;+107%
The Dow Jones Industrial Average today (Tuesday) gained more than 168 points despite news the US manufacturing sector contracted in November to its lowest level since June 2009 This morning, the Institute for Supply Management (ISM) announced its monthly reading on national factory activity slipped to 486 It is the first time since November 2012 that the reading has fallen below 50, a level indicating a contraction in the domestic manufacturing sector However, domestic construction spending hit an eight-year high Traders are curious about whether this mixed data will weigh on the minds of US Federal Reserve officials as they consider the possibility of the first interest rate hike since 2006
Top Stock Market News Today
- Stock MarketNews: All 10 S&P sectors were positive, with healthcare stocks leading the way Shares of Valeant Pharmaceuticals International Inc ( VRX ) surged nearly 10%, while Pfizer Inc ( PFE ) was up more than 26%
- Oil in Focus: US oil prices ticked upward as OPEC members prepare to discuss the ongoing supply glut and whether they will slash production any time soon or stand pat to protect market share January WTI prices jumped 05% to hit $4185 per barrel Meanwhile, Brent oil crude - priced in London - slipped 04% to hit $4444 High-volume stocks Exxon Mobil Corp ( XOM ) and Chevron Corp ( CVX ) added 03% and 13% on the day, respectively Shares of Kinder Morgan Inc ( KMI ) fell another 49% Here's our take on whether OPEC will cut production in 2016
- On Tap Tomorrow: On Wednesday, investors will be keeping a close eye on the morning nonfarm payrolls report, released by Automated Data Processing In addition, the markets will listen to speeches from three members of the Fed, including the central bank chairwoman Janet Yellen Companies set to report quarterly earnings tomorrow include Avago Technologies Ltd (Nasdaq: AVGO), PVH Corp (PVH), Aeropostale Inc (ARO), Synopsys Inc (Nasdaq: SNPS), G-III Apparel Group Ltd (Nasdaq: GIII), and Yingli Green Energy Holding Co Ltd (NYSE ADR: YGE)
Stocks to Watch: TERP, SUNE, JOY, BAC, AMZN, BLOX
- Stocks to Watch No1, TERP: Shares of TerraForm Power Inc (Nasdaq: TERP) surged more than 32% on news that hedge fund managers at Appaloosa Management said a deal to purchase high-risk projects from its parent company Sunedison Inc (SUNE) has created financial concerns for its shareholders The two companies also received positive outlooks from Oppenheimer despite the sharp slump for renewable energy stocks over the last year Shares of SUNE added more than 9% on the day
- Stocks to Watch No 2, JOY: Shares of Joy Global Inc (JOY) cratered more than 13% on news Bank of America Corp (BAC) cut its rating on the machinery company JOY plans to release its quarterly earnings report on Dec 16 The price target was set at $10 per share, which is down more than 50% from Monday's closing price JOY has found little joy in 2015, as the company's business has been plagued by a global slowdown in commodity production
- Stocks to Watch No 3, AMZN: Shares of Amazoncom Inc (Nasdaq: AMZN) added more than 2% on news the e-commerce giant saw record sales for its tech gadgets, like the Fire tablet, Fire TV, and Echo assistant, over the marathon shopping weekend
- Stocks to Watch No 4, BLOX: Shares of Infoblox Inc (BLOX) gained more than 22% as the company surprised Wall Street and investors during its quarterly earnings report The firm reported an adjusted EPS of $013, beating Wall Street expectations by $006 The firm reported quarterly revenue of $94 million, ahead of the expected $8758 million
What Investors Must Know This Week
- Grab Double-Digit Gains from This Analyst "Fail"
- Three Game Changers Fueling a Natural Gas Rebound
- Brace Yourself for This $2 Trillion Global Disruption
To get full access to all Money Morning content including our latest Premium Report, "How to Make 2015 Your Wealthiest Year Ever," click here
About Money Morning: Money Morning gives you access to a team of ten market experts with more than 250 years of combined investing experience - for free Our experts - who have appeared on FOXBusiness, CNBC, NPR, and BloombergTV - deliver daily investing tips and stock picks, provide analysis with actions to take, and answer your biggest market questions Our goal is to help our millions of e-newsletter subscribers and Moneymorningcom visitors become smarter, more confident investors
Disclaimer: © 2015 Money Morning and Money Map Press All Rights Reserved Protected by copyright of the United States and international treaties Any reproduction, copying, or redistribution (electronic or otherwise, including the world wide web), of content from this webpage, in whole or in part, is strictly prohibited without the express written permission of Money Morning 16 W Madison St Baltimore, MD, 21201
The views and opinions expressed herein are the views and opinions of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Nasdaq, Inc
The views and opinions expressed herein are the views and opinions of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Nasdaq, Inc.