MoneyMorning.com Report - For Sept. 30, 2015, here's what could boost the Dow Jones Industrial Average today...
Dow Jones Today
Dow futures for Wednesday are up 181 points as traders prepare for an important update on U.S. oil inventory levels and stocks react to a monthly economic report from Canada and updates on Japan's struggling manufacturing sector.
In addition, U.S. Federal Reserve Chairwoman Janet Yellen will give a speech this afternoon in St. Louis. Investors will be looking for further clues on the timing of the Federal Reserve's next rate increase.
On Tuesday, the Dow Jones Industrial Average gained more than 47 points despite growing concerns about global growth.
Healthcare stocks faded in the later hours of the trading session and extended the sector's downturn to eight straight days.
It was another brutal day for biotech stocks. Shares of Seres Therapeutics Inc. (Nasdaq: MCRB) fell by more than 20% on the day, while shares of Galapagos NV (Nasdaq ADR: GLPG) fell by more than 15%. The iShares NASDAQ Biotechnology Index (ETF) (Nasdaq: IBB) was down 0.39% after paring strong gains.
Top News in the Stock Market Today
- Today, pay attention to the latest monthly GDP report in Canada , as we will get a better sense of whether the U.S.'s largest export market is mired in recession. The country has been hammered by falling oil prices , and its struggling economic performance has weighed on the sentiment of the U.S. Federal Reserve and its timing on interest rates. In addition, Automated Data Processing ( ADP ) will report private data growth for the month of September at 8:30 a.m.
- Oil prices are in focus today as investors keep an eye on the weekly inventory report from the U.S. Energy Information Administration. Energy economists anticipate a drawdown of 916,000 barrels from last week, while Estimize analysts project a decline of roughly 1.26 million barrels. Energy stocks slipped by more than 0.4% on Tuesday despite solid gains in WTI oil prices and Brent crude prices. Shares of both Exxon Mobil Corp. ( XOM ) and Chevron Corp. ( CVX ) were down after the bell on Tuesday by more than 0.3% Here's a breakdown on why oil prices rose on Tuesday, but energy stocks slid.
- Pre-Market Movers No. 1, PAYX: Before the market opens, Paychex Inc. (Nasdaq: PAYX) will report fiscal first-quarter earnings. Estimize analysts anticipate that the payment company will report an EPS of $0.51 on revenue of $717.9 million, while Wall Street expects the same earnings level, but revenue slightly lower. Wall Street analysts expect the company to report first quarter revenue of $717.2 million.
Stocks to Watch: YHOO, BABA, AXON, QCOM
- Stocks to Watch No. 1, YHOO: Shares of Yahoo Inc. (Nasdaq: YHOO) were gaining in post-market hours yesterday after the company announced plans to proceed with the spin-off of its stake in Alibaba Group Holding Inc. ( BABA ). Yahoo stock gained nearly 2.4% on Tuesday, while Alibaba stock gained 0.8%. Here's a breakdown of the tech giant's announcement and insight on how this deal will affect Alibaba stock in the future.
- Stocks toWatchNo. 2, AXON: Shares of Axon Sciences Ltd. ( AXON ) were still on the move in post-market hours after the company continues to see positive momentum following an upgrade from Zacks Research.
- Stocks to Watch No.3, QCOM: Shares of Qualcomm Inc. (Nasdaq: QCOM) should be in focus today as the stock is trading at a bargain. As we explain right here, Qualcomm is one of the best stocks to own when looking for exposure to emerging multimillion-dollar markets. Here's a recap of the semiconductor company and insight into why the stock represents one of the best bargain buys in the technology sector today.
Today's U.S. Economic Calendar (all times EDT)
- MBA Mortgage Applications at 7 a.m.
- ADP Employment Report at 8:15 a.m.
- Chicago PMI at 9:45 a.m.
- EIA Petroleum Status Report at 10:30 a.m.
- Federal Reserve Chairwoman Janet Yellen speaks at 2 p.m.
- Federal Reserve Governor Lael Brainard speaks at 7 p.m.
What Investors Must Know This Week
- The One Stock to Profit from China's Trillion-Dollar Megaproject
- CHARTS: Gold Price Forecast Sees Rise Before 2016
- How to Protect Against the Biggest Threat to Your Money Today
Follow us on Twitter:@moneymorning .
To get full access to all Money Morning content including our latest Premium Report, "How to Make 2015 Your Wealthiest Year Ever," click here
About Money Morning: Money Morning gives you access to a team of ten market experts with more than 250 years of combined investing experience - for free . Our experts - who have appeared on FOXBusiness, CNBC, NPR, and BloombergTV - deliver daily investing tips and stock picks, provide analysis with actions to take, and answer your biggest market questions. Our goal is to help our millions of e-newsletter subscribers and Moneymorning.com visitors become smarter, more confident investors.
Disclaimer: © 2015 Money Morning and Money Map Press. All Rights Reserved. Protected by copyright of the United States and international treaties. Any reproduction, copying, or redistribution (electronic or otherwise, including the world wide web), of content from this webpage, in whole or in part, is strictly prohibited without the express written permission of Money Morning. 16 W. Madison St. Baltimore, MD, 21201.
Latest Markets Videos
- The $12 Trillion "Once-in-a-Lifetime" Market Opportunity Investors Won't Want to Miss
- J.P. Morgan Says These 3 Stocks Could Surge Over 100% From Current Levels
- Forget Tesla's Battery Day, These EV Stories Are More Important
- ChargePoint, Switchback Energy Acquisition Enter Business Combination Agreement