DISH Network Bids for Clearwire - Analyst Blog

Yesterday, in a surprising move, DISH Network Corp. ( DISH ) stated its keenness to purchase the remaining 49% stake of 4G WiMAX wholesaler Clearwire Corp. ( CLWR ) for $3.30 per share. DISH, the second largest satellite TV operator in the U.S., is desperately trying to enter into the lucrative wireless market. Recently, DISH Network got the FCC nod to install a nationwide wireless network using its 40 MHz spectrums, which the company purchased in 2011.

On the other side, Sprint Nextel Corp. ( S ), the 51% shareholder of Clearwire has given a $2.97 per share bid to acquire the remaining 49% of Clearwire last month. Sprint has undertaken a massive project to expand its LTE network. DISH's proposal is undoubtedly better than Sprint's but it is contingent upon Sprint's decision to waive its own shareholder right, which in all likelihood, the company will not do.

Secondly, DISH's proposal, has a total consideration of $5.15 billion and includes several conditions. Per the conditions, the company must get at least 25% of Clearwire's controlling stake to nominate board members, it will pay $2.2 billion to get a 24% stake of 2.66 GHz spectrum of Clearwire, Clearwire will build and manage a wireless network for DISH and DISH will provide an additional $800 million to Clearwire to terminate its financing deal with Sprint.

Clearwire stated that a special committee of its Board of Directors will discuss the proposal with DISH. At the same time, the company also mentioned that the special committee so far, has not made any change to its recommendation on the already submitted offer by Sprint.

We reaffirm our long-term Neutral recommendation on both DISH and Sprint. Currently, both the companies enjoy a short-term Zacks #3 Rank (Hold) on their respective stocks. Clearwire also enjoys a short-term Zacks #3 Rank (Hold) on its stock.

CLEARWIRE CORP (CLWR): Free Stock Analysis Report

DISH NETWORK CP (DISH): Free Stock Analysis Report

SPRINT NEXTEL (S): Free Stock Analysis Report

To read this article on click here.

Zacks Investment Research

The views and opinions expressed herein are the views and opinions of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Nasdaq, Inc.

The views and opinions expressed herein are the views and opinions of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Nasdaq, Inc.

In This Story


Other Topics


Latest Markets Videos


    Zacks is the leading investment research firm focusing on stock research, analysis and recommendations. In 1978, our founder discovered the power of earnings estimate revisions to enable profitable investment decisions. Today, that discovery is still the heart of the Zacks Rank. A wealth of resources for individual investors is available at

    Learn More