NICE, France, Aug 27 (Reuters) - Slovenian favourite Primoz Roglic said on Thursday he is ready for the Tour de France, removing any doubts about his participation in cycling's biggest event of the year following a heavy fall in his previous race.
"I feel fine. I'm here at the Tour start now, so that's good news," the 30-year-old Jumbo-Visma rider told a news conference two days before the start of the race.
"I'm ready just like the other guys here. I'm going to do my best and we will see how it goes."
The Vuelta champion was "in a lot of pain" after crashing at the Criterium du Dauphine on Aug. 15 and said last week he had not yet fully recovered, triggering speculation about his participation in the Tour.
"Everything looks good. He trained well at altitude and he is now here," said Jumbo-Visma coach Grischa Niermann.
"We fully assume that we will ride the Tour with him."
Before his crash, Roglic had been in ominous form and his team appeared the most formidable of the peloton, with former Giro d'Italia winner Tom Dumoulin in support.
Roglic, who won the Tour de l'Ain in stunning fashion when racing resumed following a four-month hiatus due to the COVID-19 crisis, was leading the Criterium du Dauphine until he crashed in the penultimate stage.
His lack of recent training could play against him with a treacherous mountain stage as early as the second stage on Sunday.
(Reporting by Julien Pretot; Editing by Peter Rutherford)
The views and opinions expressed herein are the views and opinions of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Nasdaq, Inc.