Canadian miner Banro declares force majeure on some Congo operations
JOHANNESBURG, Sept 27 (Reuters) - Canadian gold miner Banro Corporation declared force majeure on several of its operations in Democratic Republic of Congo earlier this month, its chief executive said in a letter addressed to Congolese officials and seen by Reuters.
Banro Corp suspended operations at Banro Mining Congo, Namoya Mining, Lugushwa Mining and Kamituga Mining, saying "serious security problems" persisted despite the release in recent weeks of employees taken hostage by rebels in July.
A Banro employee, who asked not to be named, confirmed the contents of the Sept. 24 letter written by CEO Brett Richards. The letter also said the company's Twangiza site would remain operational.
(Reporting by Helen Reid and Aaron Ross, Editing by Susan Fenton)
((Helen.Reid@thomsonreuters.com; +44 20 7542 0402;))
The views and opinions expressed herein are the views and opinions of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Nasdaq, Inc.