* The Toronto Stock Exchange's S&P/TSX .GSPTSE rose 116.62 points, or 0.72 percent, to 16,346.66.
* Leading the index were Eldorado Gold Corp ELD.TO, up 12.2 percent, Home Capital Group Inc HCG.TO, up 5.1 percent, and Aphria Inc APHA.TO, higher by 4.6 percent.
* Lagging shares were New Gold Inc NGD.TO, down 4.4 percent, Kirkland Lake Gold Ltd KL.TO, down 4.0 percent, and Torex Gold Resources Inc TXG.TO, lower by 1.8 percent.
* On the TSX 194 issues rose and 41 fell as a 4.7-to-1 ratio favored advancers. There were 4 new highs and 3 new lows, with total volume of 72.6 million shares.
* The most heavily traded shares by volume were Aphria Inc APHA.TO, Encana Corp ECA.TO and Manulife Financial Corp MFC.TO.
* The TSX's energy group .SPTTEN rose 2.49 points, or 1.7 percent, while the financials sector .SPTTFS climbed 1.79 points, or 0.6 percent.
* West Texas Intermediate crude futures CLc1 rose 1.04 percent, or $0.61, to $59.24 a barrel. Brent crude LCOc1 rose 1.92 percent, or $1.32, to $70.01 O/R
* The TSX is up 14.1 percent for the year.
The views and opinions expressed herein are the views and opinions of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Nasdaq, Inc.