BlockFi Takes 5% Stake in Grayscale’s $4.8B Bitcoin Trust
Crypto lender BlockFi has become one of Grayscale Bitcoin Trust’s (GBTC) biggest whales.
- BlockFi holds 5.07% of Grayscale’s $4.8 billion bitcoin trust, or 24,235,578 GBTC shares, according to Tuesday Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) filings. Grayscale is owned by CoinDesk’s parent firm Digital Currency Group.
- CEO Zac Prince said in a press statement BlockFi’s “significant” GBTC position will “add value” to the “marketplace for liquid and illiquid” shares. “There are lending markets related to GBTC,” he told CoinDesk in an email.
- Crypto fund manager Three Arrows Capital is the only other entity with comparable GBTC holdings, having amassed over 21 million shares by June. That represented a 6.26% stake in GBTC at the time.
- Entities are required to publicly disclose ownership positions over the 5% threshold. GBTC became an SEC reporting company in January.
- Grayscale Added $300M in Digital Assets to Its Portfolio During the Last Day
- Grayscale Announces Best Ever Quarter With Over $1B Raised
- Bitcoin and Ether Rally After Grayscale’s ETH Trust Becomes SEC-Reporting
- BlockFi Adds an Independent Pricing Partner to Guard Against Flash Crashes
The views and opinions expressed herein are the views and opinions of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Nasdaq, Inc.