Markets

Autoliv (ALV) Q3 Earnings Miss Estimates, 2018 View Cut

Autoliv, Inc.ALV reported adjusted earnings of $1.35 per share in third-quarter 2018, missing the Zacks Consensus Estimate of $1.58. Moreover, the bottom line declined from the prior-year quarter's tally of $1.47.

During the quarter under review, Autoliv reported net sales from continuing operations of $2.03 billion, reflecting a 4.1% rise year over year. While the Zacks Consensus Estimate for the same was pegged at $2.07 billion. Quarterly organic sales grew 6.4%, majorly driven by a 22% organic sales increase in Americas. However, this uptrend was partly offset by weak demand for light vehicle production in China and Europe.

Operating income from continuing operations gained 15.1% to $193 million. Adjusted operating margin from continuing operations was 9.5% in the reported quarter, higher than the prior-year quarter's figure of 8.6%.

Autoliv, Inc. Price, Consensus and EPS Surprise

Autoliv, Inc. Price, Consensus and EPS Surprise | Autoliv, Inc. Quote

Financial Position

Autoliv had cash and cash equivalents of $534 million as of Sep 30, 2018, lower than $958 million reported as of Sep 30, 2017. Long-term debt was $1.68 billion as of Sep 30, 2018, witnessing a rise from $1.31 billion as of Sep 30, 2017.

At the end of third-quarter 2018, the company's operating cash flow increased to $238 million compared with the year-ago figure of $218 million. Net capital expenditure decreased to $117 million from the year-ago figure of $142 million.

Guidance

For 2018, Autoliv anticipates organic sales growth for continuing operations to be around 6%. Combined with a positive currency translation of approximately 2%, the company expects a consolidated sales boost of approximately 8%. The previous anticipated figure was 10%, which included the effect of currency conversion. Further, the adjusted operating margin for continuing operations is projected to be around 10.5% compared with the prior guidance of 11%.

Zacks Rank and Stocks to Consider

Autoliv currently carries a Zacks Rank #5 (Strong Sell).

A few better-ranked stocks in the auto space are Allison Transmission Holdings, Inc. ALSN , CarMax, Inc. KMX and Advance Auto Parts, Inc. AAP . While Allison Transmission sports a Zacks Rank #1 (Strong Buy), both CarMax and Advance Auto carry a Zacks Rank #2 (Buy). You can see the complete list of today's Zacks #1 Rank stocks here .

Allison Transmission has an expected long-term growth rate of 10%. Over the past six months, shares of the company have rallied 12.7%.

CarMax has an expected long-term growth rate of 3.3%. Over the past six months, shares of the company have climbed 12.1%.

Advance Auto has an expected long-term growth rate of 12.3%. Shares of the company have soared 43.8% over the past six months.

More Stock News: This Is Bigger than the iPhone!

It could become the mother of all technological revolutions. Apple sold a mere 1 billion iPhones in 10 years but a new breakthrough is expected to generate more than 27 billion devices in just 3 years, creating a $1.7 trillion market.

Zacks has just released a Special Report that spotlights this fast-emerging phenomenon and 6 tickers for taking advantage of it. If you don't buy now, you may kick yourself in 2020.

Click here for the 6 trades >>

Want the latest recommendations from Zacks Investment Research? Today, you can download 7 Best Stocks for the Next 30 Days. Click to get this free report

CarMax, Inc. (KMX): Free Stock Analysis Report

Advance Auto Parts, Inc. (AAP): Free Stock Analysis Report

Autoliv, Inc. (ALV): Free Stock Analysis Report

Allison Transmission Holdings, Inc. (ALSN): Free Stock Analysis Report

To read this article on Zacks.com click here.

Zacks Investment Research

The views and opinions expressed herein are the views and opinions of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Nasdaq, Inc.


The views and opinions expressed herein are the views and opinions of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Nasdaq, Inc.

In This Story

ALSN ALV KMX AAP

Other Topics

Earnings Stocks

Latest Markets Videos

Zacks

Zacks is the leading investment research firm focusing on stock research, analysis and recommendations. In 1978, our founder discovered the power of earnings estimate revisions to enable profitable investment decisions. Today, that discovery is still the heart of the Zacks Rank. A wealth of resources for individual investors is available at www.zacks.com.

Learn More