Aspen Estimates 2Q Cat Loss - Analyst Blog

A generic image of a calculator, a person holding a pen and papers laid out on a table.
Credit: Shutterstock photo

Aspen Insurance Holdings Limited ( AHL ) has provided its second quarter 2013 pre-tax loss estimate from natural catastrophes to be approximately $59 million, net of tax and reinsurance and reinstatement premiums.

The loss will be split among its Insurance and Reinsurance segments. The Reinsurance segment will bear 85% of the estimated loss and the Insurance segment will bear the remaining 15%.

The loss estimate of the company includes for the Floods in Central Europe, Canada and India as well as the tornadoes and hailstorms that occurred in the United States. Out of the entire loss estimate of $59 million, Aspen estimates the pre-tax loss from floods in Europe to be $31 million. Additionally, Aspen estimates the industry loss from the European floods to be $4-$4.5 billion.

However, owing to the uncertainties and complexities involved in the events, actual losses might vary from the estimate. Such estimate revision will be recorded by the company in the period of its occurrence.

Aspen is due to report is second quarter 2013 results on Jul 24. The Zacks Consensus Estimate for the second quarter of 2013 is 93 cents per share representing a year-over-year decline of 29.9%. In the first quarter, the company showed impressive earnings performance driven by favorable prior-year reserve development and consistent grip on the U.S. Insurance operations. In fact, Aspen delivered positive earnings surprise in all of the last 4 quarters with an average beat of 48.57%. However, the picture is expected to alter in the upcoming period owing to huge losses from the catastrophes.

Among other property and casualty Insurers , Endurance Specialty Holdings Limited ( ENH ) has also provided its initial loss estimate from the floods in Europe and Canada, and the tornadoes in America. The aggregate pre-tax loss estimate provided by Endurance is $47.4 million, net of reinsurance and reinstatement premiums.

Aspen currently holds a Zacks Rank #3 (Hold). Among other property and casualty insurers, AmTrust Financial Services Inc. ( AFSI ) and HCI Group Inc. ( HCI ) carry a favorable Zacks Rank #1 (Strong Buy).

AMTRUST FIN SVC (AFSI): Free Stock Analysis Report

ASPEN INS HLDGS (AHL): Free Stock Analysis Report

ENDURANCE SPLTY (ENH): Free Stock Analysis Report

HCI GROUP INC (HCI): Free Stock Analysis Report

To read this article on click here.

Zacks Investment Research

The views and opinions expressed herein are the views and opinions of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Nasdaq, Inc.

The views and opinions expressed herein are the views and opinions of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Nasdaq, Inc.

In This Story


Other Topics


Latest Markets Videos


    Zacks is the leading investment research firm focusing on stock research, analysis and recommendations. In 1978, our founder discovered the power of earnings estimate revisions to enable profitable investment decisions. Today, that discovery is still the heart of the Zacks Rank. A wealth of resources for individual investors is available at

    Learn More