Following in Australia's footsteps, Canada will make plain
packaging of cigarettes compulsory in order to cut down on the rate
of smoking. While large graphic warning labels already exist on
cigarette packs, Canadian Health Minister, Jane Philpott,
stated the existing packaging allowed companies to build brand
loyalty with children. However, such a move is being criticized by
a number of tobacco manufacturers. As these products are already
hidden from view, with 75% of the packet covered with health
warnings, it seems highly improbable that the packaging influences
a consumer's smoking habits. But even if that may be the case, such
a move will not have much of an impact on Philip Morris
) revenue. During FY 2015, Canada had 10.8% share in the
shipment volume of the company's Latin America and Canada region.
Assuming the same share in the revenue from the region, we can
assume PM's revenue from Canada in FY 2016 was $1,021 million. This
implies Canada contributed to 1.4% of Philip Morris' revenue last
In such a case, if we consider three scenarios, wherein the
effect of plain packaging reduces revenue from Canada by 10%, 30%,
and 50%, which may be a stretch, the resulting impact on the
company's revenue is insignificant. Even in the most extreme
scenario, the revenue will be negatively affected by 0.7%.
Have more questions on Philip Morris? See the links below:
What Effect Will A Tobacco Tax Hike Have In New
- How Will Philip Morris Perform In 2016?
- Why Has Philip Morris' Price Risen ~17% This Year Despite An
- How Did The Market Share For Philip Morris Change in Q1 2016
In EU And Its Key Markets, As Compared To Q1 2015?
- How Did The Revenue And Operating Companies Income In Each
Region Change In Q1 2016, As Compared To Q1 2015?
- Philip Morris Misses Q1 Revenue And EPS Estimates
- Will Philip Morris Beat Expectations This Earnings
- How Did Philip Morris Perform In The European Union, And Its
Key Markets There, In 2015?
- How Did Philip Morris Perform In Russia, Given The Currency
Headwinds And Excise Tax Rise?
- How Has Philip Morris Fared In Comparison To Its Peers?
- How Has Philip Morris' Shipment Volume, By Brand, Changed
Over The Past 3 Years?
- How Has Philip Morris' Revenue And EBITDA Composition Changed
In The Last 5 Years?
- How Will Philip Morris' Revenue And EBITDA Change In The Next
- Philip Morris: Year 2015 In Review
- By What Percentage Did Philip Morris' Revenue & EBITDA
Change In The Last 5 Years?
- What is Philip Morris' Fundamental Value Based On Expected
- What is Philip Morris' Revenue And EBITDA Breakdown?
1) The purpose of these analyses is to help readers
focus on a few important things. We hope such lean
communication sparks thinking, and encourages readers to comment
and ask questions on the comment section, or email
2) Figures mentioned are approximate values to help our readers
remember the key concepts more intuitively. For
precise figures, please refer to
our complete analysis for Philip Morris
View Interactive Institutional
Research (Powered by Trefis):
Global Large Cap
U.S. Mid & Small Cap
European Large & Mid Cap