Norfolk Southern Rewards Shareholders With 11% Dividend Hike

Shutterstock photo

Norfolk Southern Corporation 's NSC board has approved an 11% hike in quarterly cash dividend to 80 cents per share ($3.20 annually) from the previous 72 cents. The dividend is payable Sep 10 to shareholders of record as of Aug 6.

The move indicates the company's commitment to add shareholder value as well as underlines its confidence in business growth.

Per the company's chairman, president and CEO James A. Squires, the dividend raise is a result of its strong results, placing it on a solid growth path for the future, as well as a sound financial position.

Norfolk Southern Corporation Price

Norfolk Southern Corporation Price | Norfolk Southern Corporation Quote

The company recently reported second-quarter financial results wherein both earnings and revenues surpassed estimates and increased substantially year over year. Results were aided by a low effective tax rate and impressive volume growth. (Read more: Norfolk Southern Beats Q2 Earnings & Revenues, Up Y/Y )

Norfolk Southern has distributed dividends for 144 consecutive quarters since its inception in 1982. We remind investors that the company's latest dividend hike is the second one this year. During the first quarter, the company raised its quarterly dividend payout by 18%. Thus combined with the 11% dividend hike, Norfolk Southern increased its dividend by 29% in the ongoing year.

The successive dividend hikes can be attributed to the reduced corporate tax rate arising from the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act. With a low effective tax rate, companies are now left with huge savings boosting their free cash flow. This surge in free cash flow is enabling them to frequently engage in such shareholder-friendly activities.

Zacks Rank & Other Key Picks

Norfolk Southern holds a Zacks Rank #2 (Buy). Other top-ranked stocks in the railroad space are CSX Corporation CSX , Canadian National Railway Company CNI and Union Pacific Corporation UNP . While CSX sports a Zacks Rank #1 (Strong Buy), Canadian National Railway and Union Pacific carry a Zacks Rank of 2. You can see the complete list of today's Zacks #1 Rank stocks here .

Shares of CSX, Canadian National Railway and Union Pacific have rallied more than 42%, 12% and 44%, respectively, in a year.

Today's Stocks from Zacks' Hottest Strategies

It's hard to believe, even for us at Zacks. But while the market gained +21.9% in 2017, our top stock-picking screens have returned +115.0%, +109.3%, +104.9%, +98.6%, and +67.1%.

And this outperformance has not just been a recent phenomenon. Over the years it has been remarkably consistent. From 2000 - 2017, the composite yearly average gain for these strategies has beaten the market more than 19X over. Maybe even more remarkable is the fact that we're willing to share their latest stocks with you without cost or obligation.

See Them Free>>

Want the latest recommendations from Zacks Investment Research? Today, you can download 7 Best Stocks for the Next 30 Days. Click to get this free report

CSX Corporation (CSX): Free Stock Analysis Report

Union Pacific Corporation (UNP): Free Stock Analysis Report

Canadian National Railway Company (CNI): Free Stock Analysis Report

Norfolk Southern Corporation (NSC): Free Stock Analysis Report

To read this article on Zacks.com click here.

Zacks Investment Research

The views and opinions expressed herein are the views and opinions of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Nasdaq, Inc.

This article appears in: Investing , Business , Stocks
Referenced Symbols: CSX , UNP , CNI , NSC

More from Zacks.com




Equity Research

Research Brokers before you trade

Want to trade FX?