Without Alcoa to lead off the Dow, the big banks basically kick off earnings season now.
They mostly report earnings during a relatively quiet week with just 2 dozen companies expected to report earnings.
But things pick up the second week of the season with about 200 companies reporting.
That doesn't mean you should ignore these early reporting companies just because there aren't many reporting. Far from it.
This first week we'll get a couple of bellwether companies and one tech giant that investors should certainly be tuning into.
5 Charts to Kick Off Earnings Season
1. Bed Bath & Beyond BBBY has struggled with competition from both Amazon and Wayfair. Shares are near 5-year lows. Is the worst news already priced in?
2. Fastenal FAST is a barometer for the manufacturing industry as its business parallels that industry. Shares broke out to new 5-year highs in 2018. Can they continue to rally?
3. Bank of the Ozarks OZRK is a regional bank with one of the best earnings surprise charts out there. It hasn't missed in 5 years. In 2017, there were some concerns about the growth in the national apartment portfolio, but have those fears eased?
4. First Republic FRC is a wealth management bank specializing in San Francisco and Silicon Valley clients. It has missed 3 quarters in a row, which is a rare earnings miss streak for the bank. Will it turn it around this quarter?
5. Netflix NFLX leads off the charge in the second week of earnings. It's the first of the FANG stocks to report. It has a great track record of beating with just 2 misses in the last 5 years. But with shares soaring, is it too hot to handle now?
Looking for Stocks with Skyrocketing Upside?
Zacks has just released a Special Report on the booming investment opportunities of legal marijuana.
Ignited by new referendums and legislation, this industry is expected to blast from an already robust $6.7 billion to $20.2 billion in 2021. Early investors stand to make a killing, but you have to be ready to act and know just where to look.
See the pot trades we're targeting>>
Want the latest recommendations from Zacks Investment Research? Today, you can download 7 Best Stocks for the Next 30 Days. Click to get this free reportNetflix, Inc. (NFLX): Free Stock Analysis ReportBank of the Ozarks, Inc. (OZRK): Free Stock Analysis ReportFirst Republic Bank (FRC): Free Stock Analysis ReportFastenal Company (FAST): Free Stock Analysis ReportBed Bath & Beyond Inc. (BBBY): Free Stock Analysis ReportTo read this article on Zacks.com click here.Zacks Investment Research