Strongest year for listings at Nasdaq since 2000 with 189 IPOs
8 of the top 10 best performing IPOs in 2014 listed on Nasdaq
More health care companies listed on Nasdaq than
any other U.S. exchange in 2014
NEW YORK, Dec. 22, 2014 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Nasdaq (Nasdaq:NDAQ) welcomed 313* new listings to The Nasdaq Stock Market in 2014, including 189 initial public offerings (IPOs) -- more IPOs than any other U.S. exchange, representing a 50 percent increase from the 126* IPOs that occurred on Nasdaq in 2013. 62 percent of the top 100 best performing IPOs overall this year, including 8 of the top 10, listed on Nasdaq and combined proceeds raised by Nasdaq-listed IPOs in 2014 totaled more than $22 billion.
"We are extremely proud to be the leading U.S. exchange venue for the most innovative and growth-oriented companies in the world," said Nelson Griggs, Executive Vice President, Listings Services at Nasdaq. "Companies from a broad range of industries have realized the benefits of a Nasdaq listing and the value of our commitment to provide the long-term solutions they need to successfully navigate the capital markets through all stages of their lifecycle."
2014 NASDAQ LISTING HIGHLIGHTS
- 61 percent of all U.S. IPOs occurred on Nasdaq.
- Year-over-year, Nasdaq IPO listings were up 50 percent and total proceeds raised were up 39 percent.
- 106 health care IPOs raising over $7.7 billion, representing 93 percent of all U.S. health care IPOs listed on Nasdaq. Companies include: Juno Therapeutics, VWR Corp., INC Research Holdings and FibroGen Inc.
- 51 percent of technology IPOs listed on Nasdaq raising $6.5 billion in 2014 including: JD.com Inc., Markit Ltd., GoPro Inc., Sabre Corp., Weibo Corp. and TrueCar Inc.
- Nasdaq's technology IPOs in 2014 are up an average of 22.6 percent from their offer price to date.
- In 2014, Nasdaq became the leading exchange for U.S. airlines with the addition of Virgin America Inc. 66 percent of public U.S.-based airline companies are now listed on Nasdaq including: American Airlines, Inc., JetBlue Airways Corporation and Hawaiian Holdings, Inc.
- 80 percent of restaurant IPOs listed on Nasdaq including: Habit Restaurants Inc., El Pollo Loco Holdings Inc. and Dave & Buster's Entertainment Inc.
- 100 percent of specialty retail store IPOs listed on Nasdaq including: Michaels Companies Inc. and Sportsman's Warehouse Holdings Inc.
- 60 percent of international IPOs in the U.S. listed on Nasdaq including companies from China, France, Israel, and the United Kingdom. Companies include: JD.com Inc., Weibo Corp., Momo Inc., Cnova NV, Markit Ltd. and CyberArk Software Ltd.
- 77 percent of venture capital-backed IPOs listed on Nasdaq including: JD.com Inc., GoPro Inc., Hortonworks Inc., and Mobile Iron Inc.
- 63 percent of financial companies listed on Nasdaq in 2014.
- 5 companies transferred their exchange listing venue to Nasdaq, including Office Depot, representing over $6 billion in combined market value switching to Nasdaq in 2014. In addition, Walgreens and Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. have announced their intention to transfer their exchange listing venue to Nasdaq, representing over $72 billion in combined market value.
Total New Listings *
Initial Public Offerings**
Upgrades from Over-the-Counter
ETF, Structured Products, Reverse Mergers & Other Listings
Transfers to Nasdaq from Competing Exchanges
*Data source: Nasdaq, FactSet, EDGAR Online, January 1, 2014 – December 22, 2014
**Includes the following capital raising events in the U.S. as priced in 2014: IPO, REIT, SPAC, BDC, Foreign Exchange Dual Listing, Best Effort and Spin-offs
Nasdaq (Nasdaq:NDAQ) is a leading provider of trading, exchange technology, information and public company services across six continents. Through its diverse portfolio of solutions, Nasdaq enables customers to plan, optimize and execute their business vision with confidence, using proven technologies that provide transparency and insight for navigating today's global capital markets. As the creator of the world's first electronic stock market, its technology powers more than 70 marketplaces in 50 countries, and 1 in 10 of the world's securities transactions. Nasdaq is home to more than 3,500 listed companies with a market value of over $8.8 trillion and more than 10,000 corporate clients. To learn more, visit www.nasdaq.com/ambition or www.business.nasdaq.com.
Cautionary Note Regarding Forward-Looking Statements
The matters described herein contain forward-looking statements that are made under the Safe Harbor provisions of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. These statements include, but are not limited to, statements about Nasdaq's listings business and other businesses, products and offerings. We caution that these statements are not guarantees of future performance. Actual results may differ materially from those expressed or implied in the forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements involve a number of risks, uncertainties or other factors beyond Nasdaq's control. These factors include, but are not limited to factors detailed in Nasdaq's annual report on Form 10-K, and periodic reports filed with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. We undertake no obligation to release any revisions to any forward-looking statements.
CONTACT: Nasdaq Media Relations Contacts: Will Briganti +1.646.441.5012 William.Briganti@nasdaq.com Linda Recupero +22.214.171.12434 Linda.Recupero@nasdaq.com
In This StoryNDAQ
Nasdaq Press Center
Read the latest press releases, request a press kit, and get in touch with our press team.