World Class Panel of Researchers to Discuss CTE and TBI-induced Neurodegeneration
MINNEAPOLIS and SAN FRANCISCO, Dec. 17, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Amarantus BioScience Holdings, Inc. (OTCQB:AMBS), a biotechnology company focused on the discovery and development of novel diagnostics and therapeutics related to neurodegeneration and apoptosis, and Brewer Sports International (BSI), a multi-faceted global sports advisory firm, are pleased to provide an update surrounding the Amarantus #C4CT Summit hosted by Brewer Sports International, powered by MDM Worldwide, to be held on Wednesday, January 29th at the United Nations in New York City, NY preceding Super Bowl XLVIII. The conference will seek to create consensus on the path forward for scientific research and commercial development.
A portion of the proceeds from the #C4CT Summit will benefit ONE MIND for Research™, an independent, non-profit organization dedicated to bringing together the public and private sectors to collaborate on large-scale, shared data brain research that will accelerate the delivery of improved diagnostics, preventions, treatments, and cures to patients.
"Forging partnerships and collaborations are critical to making much needed progress in finding better diagnostics and treatments for concussion, CTE and TBI in sports and beyond, which is central to our mission,"
- Peter Chiarelli (Ret.), CEO of ONE MIND, Retired General and Former Vice Chief Of Staff, US Army
The #C4CT Summit is the opening of the five-day Brewer Sports International Super Bowl XLVIII exclusive events series, which also includes The Jack Brewer Foundation (JBF Worldwide) "Protect the Goal" Sport for Development Summit, Super Bowl Kickoff Cocktail Reception and the 6th Annual JBF Worldwide Super Bowl Watch Event at the Grand Havana Room.
LIMITED REGISTRATION NOW OPEN AND SPONSORSHIP OPPORTUNITIES AVAILABLE
To register or for additional information, please visit www.regonline.com/c4ctsummit. For further information surrounding sponsorship opportunities, please contact Lindsay Lommel at Lindsay.Lommel@thebrewergroup.com.
Below is a preliminary list of speakers and panelists participating in the #C4CT Concussion Awareness Summit. Additional participants, including current and retired players, coaches and other key stakeholders will follow in the coming weeks.
- Chris Nowinski, Co-Founder and Executive Director of the Sports Legacy Institute (SLI), Co-Director, Center for the Study of Traumatic Encephalopathy, Boston University School of Medicine, Former Professional Wrestler and Spokesman at World Wrestling Entertainment
- Robert Cantu, MA, M.D., F.A.C.S., .F.A.A.N.S., F.I.C.S., F.A.C.S.M., Clinical Professor Department of Neurosurgery and Co-Director Center for the Study of Traumatic Encephalopathy, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA; Senior Advisor to NFL Head, Neck and Spine Committee; Section Co-Chair Mackey-White NFLPA Traumatic Brain Injury Committee
- Pete Chiarelli, CEO of One Mind, Retired 4 Star General
- Andrew Mayer, Ph.D., Associate Professor of Translational Neuroscience, The Mind Research Network, Adjunct Assistant Professor of Neurology, University of New Mexico
- Adam J. Simon, Ph.D., Founder and CEO of Cerora, Inc
- John Reppas, Director of Public Policy, Neurotechnology Industry Organization
- Gunnar Brolinson, D.O., Associate Professor/Discipline Chair of Sports Medicine at Virginia Tech
- Lauren Gross, Senior Manager, Major Gifts, American Brain Foundation, American Academy of Neurology
- Julian Bailes, M.D., Chairman of the Department of Neurology & Co-Director, NorthShore Neurological Institute; Former team physician for the Pittsburgh Steelers; Founding Member of the Brain Injury Research Institute
- Robert Stern, Ph.D., Professor of Neurology and Neurosurgery at Boston University School of Medicine; Director of the Clinical Core of the NIH-funded BU Alzheimer's Disease Center; Co-founder of the BU Center for the Study of Traumatic Encephalopathy
- Andrew Maas, M.D., Ph.D., Professor and Chairman Department of Neurosurgery University Hospital Antwerp
- Brian Hainline, M.D., National Collegiate Athletics Association Chief Medical Officer
- Michael Bell, M.D., Associate Professor of Critical Care Medicine, Neurological Surgery, Pediatrics Director, Pediatric Neurocritical Care, Director, Pediatric Neurotrauma Center, Associate Director, Safar Center for Resuscitation Research at the University of Pittsburgh
- Nicholas J. Conti, Ph.D., M.B.A., Corporate Business Development, Quest Diagnostics Incorporated
- David A. Lowe, Ph.D., President and CEO of NeuroAssets, Sarl, Member of the Amarantus Board of Directors
- Carl Eller, NFL Hall of Famer, President and Chairman of the Board of the NFL Retired Players Association
- Ben Utecht, Former NFL Player, Public Leadership in Neurology Award Winner, American Acad. of Neurology
"There is at hand a unique opportunity for athletes who have been exposed to hits to the head to greatly assist in the advancement of new treatments and diagnostics for mild TBI, concussions and TBI-induced neurodegeneration, including CTE," said Gerald E. Commissiong, President and CEO of Amarantus. "Athletes from contact sports have an increased neurodegenerative disease risk profile, and engaging them in research may ultimately help make sports safer for future generations while also potentially bringing mankind closer to finding effective treatments for diseases of the brain. We are bringing the best lineup of research groups together now to seriously delve into the issues and raise public awareness."
About Amarantus BioScience Holdings, Inc.
Amarantus is a development-stage biotechnology company focused on developing certain biologics surrounding the intellectual property and proprietary technologies it owns to treat and/or diagnose Parkinson's disease, Alzheimer's disease, Traumatic Brain Injury, and other human diseases. The Company has an exclusive worldwide license to the Lymphocyte Proliferation test ("LymPro Test®") for Alzheimer's disease and owns the intellectual property rights to the therapeutic protein Mesencephalic-Astrocyte-derived Neurotrophic Factor ("MANF") and is developing MANF-based products as treatments for various protein folding-related medical conditions. The Company also is a Founding Member of the Coalition for Concussion Treatment (#C4CT), in collaboration with Brewer Sports International raising awareness of new products in development for concussions and traumatic brain injury. The Company also owns intellectual property for the diagnosis of Parkinson's disease ("NuroPro") and the discovery of neurotrophic factors ("PhenoGuard"). Amarantus operations are located at Janssen Labs @QB3 in San Francisco, CA. For further information please visit www.Amarantus.com, or connect with the Company on Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter and Google+.
About Brewer Sports International
Brewer Sports International (BSI) is a multi-faceted sports advisory firm within The Brewer Group Companies with a focus on the business of sports, wellness and media for professional athletes, sports agencies, public and private corporations and various partners including international organizations, governments and NGOs. Based in Minneapolis, with offices in New York, Dallas, Miami, Beijing and Malawi, BSI was founded by Jack Brewer, a five-year National Football League (NFL) veteran and former team captain on three NFL teams. Additionally, BSI has created a unique financial services platform that is offered to professional athletes and sports agencies, as well as high net worth individuals and businesses touching professional sports. BSI takes pride in enabling its clients to capitalize on the endless opportunities presented through sport. For more information, please visit www.brewersports.com or follow them on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.
About MDM Worldwide
MDM Worldwide Solutions, Inc. is a digital communications agency that develops and manages online engagement strategies to connect companies with their stakeholders. MDM specializes in working with clients in the technology, healthcare and life sciences spaces. MDM's vast industry knowledge, proprietary methodology, proven track record and experienced leadership team enables them to create and customize targeted digital marketing campaigns to fulfill all of their clients' objectives. For more information, please visit mdmworldwide.com or find them on Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and LinkedIn.
About ONE MIND for Research™
ONE MIND is an independent, non-profit organization dedicated to curing the diseases of the brain and eliminating the stigma and discrimination associated with mental illness and brain injuries. ONE MIND sponsors groundbreaking new research, creates public-private partnerships, and is building a brain data exchange portal for shared scientific data. Our mission is to accelerate the development of improved diagnostics, more effective treatments, and, ultimately, preventions and cures for all types of mental illness and brain injury. ONE MIND works to find real solutions to the epidemic of brain disease, improving the lives of current and future generations. More information can be found at 1mind4research.org.
CONTACT: Amarantus Bioscience Holdings, Inc.:
Russell Miller, Director of Investor Relations
408.737.2734 x 101
email@example.comBrewer Sports International:
Danielle Berman, Director of Business Development and Media
Source: Amarantus BioScience Holdings, Inc.