Dow Climbs 162 Points in Range-Bound Move Higher
Dow Jones Industrial Average (DJI)
enjoyed a triple-point rally today, erasing all of Monday's
143-point decline. "With the strong sell-off yesterday, it was a
nice sign that the market reversed its course," remarked
Schaeffer's Senior Equity Analyst Joe Bell. "While many on Wall
Street will be looking toward the Greek elections this weekend, the
uncertainty surrounding euro-zone economics will continue to
amplify the current volatility and trading range-type behavior."
Keep reading to see what else was on our radar today:
- Is a bullish omen rising from the narrowing bond yield spread?
- Option Trend Tracker : get a read on the latest options activity for three hot stocks.
- Which way now? Bullish and bearish speculators are searching for direction in this rumor-driven, up-and-down market .
The Dow Jones Industrial Average (DJI - 12,573.80) regained all of yesterday's losses (and then some), surging 162.6 points, or 1.3%, to close just below its session peak of 12,577.02. Twenty-nine of the 30 blue chips moved higher today, as Boeing Company ( BA ) led the parade of gainers with a 2.5% jump. United Technologies ( UTX ) was the lone laggard, turning in a loss of 0.4%.
The S&P 500 Index (SPX - 1,324.18) nearly compensated for Monday's decline, tacking on 15.3 points, or 1.2%, while the Nasdaq Composite (COMP - 2,843.07) leapt 33.3 points, or 1.2%.
The CBOE Market Volatility Index (VIX - 22.09) turned lower today, decreasing 6.2%, to end at its session low.
Today's highlight : "In the short-term, most of the major indices appear to be stuck in quite the trading range ," said Bell. "But the SPX found support from the round number 1,300 area, and had a nice bounce today."
Turning to today's major market stories...
- Option Trend Tracker : The Mosaic Company ( MOS ), Oracle Corporation ( ORCL ), and Zynga ( ZNGA ).
- See how Expectational Analysis ® could have been used to speculate on Abercrombie & Fitch Co. (ANF) .
- Analysts adjusted their price targets on tech behemoth Apple (AAPL) and global exchange operator NASDAQ OMX Group (NDAQ) .
- Options activity ramped up on Navistar (NAV) , as the heavy-duty truck builder made multiple headlines.
- Shareholders could be writing covered calls on OpenTable (OPEN) , as its 200-day trendline hovers above.
- Sector peers Arena Pharmaceuticals (ARNA) and Questcor Pharmaceuticals (QCOR) secured record-breaking highs today.
- Options traders implemented a long-term short call, bear put spread on Focus Media (FMCN) and a short-term bear put spread on eBay (EBAY).
- LEAPS were exceedingly popular on A123 Systems (AONE).
- Schaeffer's Quantitative Analyst Chris Prybal thinks the narrowing stock/bond yield spread could be a bullish signal for the market.
For today's activity in commodities, options, and more, head to page 2.
Oil futures held onto early gains today and closed with their first win after three straight down days. The commodity moved in step with equities as speculators weighed ongoing developments in the euro zone's fight against economic discord . Crude for July delivery added 62 cents, or 0.8%, to finish at $83.32 a barrel.
Gold futures climbed higher for a third consecutive session, as the safe-haven commodity got a boost from the fiscal troubles in Europe and anticipation for additional quantitative easing. While the dollar took a hit, August-dated gold jumped $17, or 1.1%, to land at $1,613.80 an ounce.
Levels to Watch in Trading :
- Dow Jones Industrial Average (DJI - 12,573.80) - support at 11,500; resistance at 14,000
- S&P 500 Index (SPX - 1,324.18) - support at 1,100; resistance at 1,500
- Nasdaq Composite (COMP - 2,843.07) - support at 2,400; resistance at 3,400
For today's notable annual highs and lows, click here .
At the end of every market day, the staff at Schaeffer's Investment Research reviews the trading day in detail, covering major events and key market developments. Don't miss this critical, timely and insightful report. If you enjoyed today's edition of Market Recap, sign up here for free daily delivery straight to your inbox.