YieldBoost USMO From 2.6% To 15.2% Using Options

By
A A A

Shareholders of USA Mobility Inc (Symbol: USMO) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 2.6% annualized dividend yield can sell the July covered call at the $20 strike and collect the premium based on the 70 cents bid, which annualizes to an additional 12.6% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost ), for a total of 15.2% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $20 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but USMO shares would have to advance 5.2% from current levels for that to occur, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 8.9% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of USA Mobility Inc, looking at the dividend history chart for USMO below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 2.6% annualized dividend yield.


USMO+Dividend+History+Chart

Below is a chart showing USMO's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $20 strike highlighted in red:

Loading+chart++2014+TickerTech.com

The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the July covered call at the $20 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $20. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked ). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for USA Mobility Inc (considering the last 253 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $19.07) to be 29%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the USMO Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com.

Top YieldBoost Calls of the S&P 500 »



The views and opinions expressed herein are the views and opinions of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of The NASDAQ OMX Group, Inc.




This article appears in: Investing , Options

Referenced Stocks: USMO

BNK Invest

BNK Invest

More from BNK Invest:

Related Videos

What to Wear to a Wedding
What to Wear to a Wedding           
4th of July Outfits
4th of July Outfits                 

Stocks

Referenced

Most Active by Volume

62,287,287
  • $17.03 ▼ 1.10%
26,194,993
  • $30.555 ▲ 1.24%
26,150,957
  • $126.44 ▼ 0.13%
25,197,634
  • $40.59 ▼ 6.26%
25,192,083
  • $19.07 ▲ 1.54%
24,563,617
  • $26.78 ▲ 0.45%
24,474,256
  • $5.85 ▲ 1.56%
24,111,132
  • $8.83 ▲ 2.08%
As of 7/2/2015, 04:15 PM

Find a Credit Card

Select a credit card product by:
Select an offer:
Search
Data Provided by BankRate.com