Quantcast

YieldBoost Southern Copper Corp From 2.4% To 11.7% Using Options


Shutterstock photo

Shareholders of Southern Copper Corp (Symbol: SCCO) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 2.4% annualized dividend yield can sell the June 2018 covered call at the $45 strike and collect the premium based on the $2.05 bid, which annualizes to an additional 9.3% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost ), for a total of 11.7% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $45 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but SCCO shares would have to climb 6.6% from current levels for that to happen, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 11.4% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Southern Copper Corp, looking at the dividend history chart for SCCO below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 2.4% annualized dividend yield.

SCCO+Dividend+History+Chart

Below is a chart showing SCCO's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $45 strike highlighted in red:

Loading+chart++2017+TickerTech.com

The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the June 2018 covered call at the $45 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $45. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked ). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for Southern Copper Corp (considering the last 253 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $42.32) to be 23%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the SCCO Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com.

In mid-afternoon trading on Thursday, the put volume among S&P 500 components was 546,926 contracts, with call volume at 1.04M, for a put:call ratio of 0.53 so far for the day. Compared to the long-term median put:call ratio of .65, that represents very high call volume relative to puts; in other words, buyers are preferring calls in options trading so far today. Find out which 15 call and put options traders are talking about today .

Top YieldBoost Calls of the S&P 500 »

The views and opinions expressed herein are the views and opinions of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Nasdaq, Inc.



This article appears in: Investing , Options
Referenced Symbols: SCCO


More from BNK Invest

Subscribe






BNK Invest
Contributor:

BNK Invest

Market News, Investing








Research Brokers before you trade

Want to trade FX?





Find a Credit Card

Select a credit card product by:
Select an offer:
Search
Data Provided by BankRate.com