Strategy To YieldBoost Aon To 9.9% Using Options

Shutterstock photo

Shareholders of Aon plc (Symbol: AON) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 1.2% annualized dividend yield can sell the April 2017 covered call at the $115 strike and collect the premium based on the $3.80 bid, which annualizes to an additional 8.7% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost ), for a total of 9.9% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $115 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but AON shares would have to advance 2.1% from current levels for that to occur, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 5.5% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Aon plc, looking at the dividend history chart for AON below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 1.2% annualized dividend yield.


Below is a chart showing AON's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $115 strike highlighted in red:

The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the April 2017 covered call at the $115 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $115. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked ). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for Aon plc (considering the last 253 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $112.68) to be 18%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the AON Stock Options page of

Top YieldBoost Calls of the S&P 500 »

The views and opinions expressed herein are the views and opinions of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Nasdaq, Inc.

This article appears in: Investing , Options

More from BNK Invest


BNK Invest

BNK Invest

Market News, Investing
Follow on:

Find a Credit Card

Select a credit card product by:
Select an offer:
Data Provided by