Schwab CEO Gets Pay Raise for '13 - Analyst Blog

By
A A A

The Charles Schwab Corp. ( SCHW ), in a recent regulatory filing, announced a hike in chief executive officer (CEO) Walt Bettinger's remuneration for 2013. Bettinger received $12.73 million as compensation package, marking a 23.7% rise from 2012.

On a year-over-year basis, the CEO's base salary increased nearly 1.7% to $1.0 million. Stock and option awards were $8.3 million, up almost 27.6%, and non-equity incentive plan compensation and other compensation swelled 24.8% to $3.4 million.

This is the second time that Bettinger received a pay hike during his tenure as Schwab's CEO since 2008. His pay for 2012 was also 1.3% meatier than the prior year.

The CEO's pay mix for 2013 reveals that the base salary comprises 8% of the total compensation. The remaining 92% is variable and is a function of overall performance.

Consecutive pay raises reflect improved profitability for Schwab. The company's long-term strategies and initiatives have started yielding results aided by the overall improvement in the equity market. Schwab reported an 11% increase in top line, with core net new assets of $140.8 billion in 2013.

Further, Schwab has delivered a positive earnings beat in the trailing two quarters with an average beat of 2.0% in the last four quarters. Over the last 90 days, the Zacks Consensus Estimate for 2014 advanced 4.4% to 95 cents per share. Moreover, the Zacks Consensus Estimate for 2015 increased 3.6% to $1.16 per share over the same time frame. The positive estimate revisions indicate that the analysts are bullish about the company's growth prospects going forward.

Among other investment brokers, E*TRADE Financial Corp. 's ( ETFC ) CEO Paul Idzik, received $13.5 million for his first year of service to the company. The compensation included a signing bonus of $9.0 million. Further, TD Ameritrade Holding Corp. 's ( AMTD ) CEO Fred Tomczyk received $6.5 million for fiscal year 2013 (ended Sep 30).

Presently, Schwab carries a Zacks Rank #3 (Hold). Better-ranked financial organizations include Investment Technology Group Inc. ( ITG ) with a Zacks Rank #1 (Strong Buy).



TD AMERITRADE (AMTD): Free Stock Analysis Report

E TRADE FINL CP (ETFC): Free Stock Analysis Report

INVEST TECH-NEW (ITG): Free Stock Analysis Report

SCHWAB(CHAS) (SCHW): Free Stock Analysis Report

To read this article on Zacks.com click here.

Zacks Investment Research



The views and opinions expressed herein are the views and opinions of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of The NASDAQ OMX Group, Inc.



This article appears in: Investing , Business , Stocks

Referenced Stocks: CEO , AMTD , ETFC , ITG , SCHW

Zacks.com

Zacks.com

More from Zacks.com:

Related Videos

Cheap Ways to Sleep Better
Cheap Ways to Sleep Better          

Stocks

Referenced

Most Active by Volume

105,679,298
  • $16.13 ▼ 0.19%
43,130,824
  • $101.32 ▲ 0.74%
24,108,376
  • $59.80 ▲ 7.34%
22,524,427
  • $26.15 ▼ 1.06%
22,194,114
  • $24.65 ▼ 0.96%
21,835,360
  • $99.05 ▲ 0.15%
20,872,575
  • $34.94 ▼ 0.60%
20,561,803
    $74.57 unch
As of 8/22/2014, 04:02 PM

Find a Credit Card

Select a credit card product by:
Select an offer:
Search
Data Provided by BankRate.com