We decided to look at October's top performing IPOs after their first full month of life on the public exchanges.
Tracking stocks after their initial public offering – IPO – can be difficult for a while. With so little information about the stock's performance available, they are highly susceptible to swings in sentiment.
That being said, this fall has been one of the busiest seasons in recent memory for IPOs. At 220, the class of new companies has already surpassed that of most years, with the exception of the heights of the dot-com bubble. And the Russell 1000, an index of younger and smaller companies, is up over 30% for the year.
That doesn't even bring us to Twitter (TWTR), an early November IPO which has had an amazing week. The social media stock is up over 6% today alone, reaching an all-time high and notching past $52.00 for the first time.
Now 2013 has been an incredible year for stocks overall, when even some of the humblest of value stocks soared to high valuations. We decided to build a list of the top five performing stocks who debuted on US exchanges lately, to track how these young companies are performing heading into the end of the year.
Our screen was simple: we looked at the entire IPO class for October, and ranked them in terms of performance for their first month, not including December. The figure is different from the dynamically updated returns on our Compar-O-Matic below, so see the list for the top five in terms of performance in the month of November.
Click on the image below to view monthly returns over time.
1. Aerie Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (AERI, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Focuses on the development, and commercialization of therapies for the treatment of patients with glaucoma and other diseases of the eye. Market cap at $358.17M, most recent closing price at $16.00.
First month performance: 47.87.
2. SFX Entertainment Inc. (SFXE, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Engages in the production of live events and entertainment electronic music culture (EMC) content in the United States. Market cap at $969.27M, most recent closing price at $11.81.
First month performance: 30.79%.
3. Fate Therapeutics, Inc. (FATE, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Discovers and develops pharmacologic modulators of adult stem cells to treat orphan diseases. Market cap at $129.27, most recent closing price $6.34.
First month performance: 26.8%.
4. Endurance International Group Holdings, Inc. (EIGI, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Provides cloud-based solutions for small-and medium-sized businesses. Market cap at $1.7B, most recent closing price at $13.84.
First month performance: 26.16%.
5. Veracyte, Inc. (VCYT, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Operates as a diagnostics company in the field of molecular cytology to enhance patient outcomes and lower healthcare costs. Market cap at $296.61M, most recent closing price at $13.93.
First month performance: 24.93%.
(List compiled by James Dennin. Monthly returns sourced from Finviz.)
Analyze These Ideas: Getting Started