Since our first Index, the NASDAQ Composite, was launched some 43 years ago NASDAQ Global Indexes has evolved into a full service index provider with highly relevant benchmarks and strategic indexes for the financial industry. Today, NASDAQ OMX has more than 40,000 indexes, making it one of the only providers to have products listed globally covering every major asset class.
NASDAQ OMX Global Indexes’ rise to one of the leading index providers in the industry was acknowledged recently by ETFExpress when they named the company “Most Innovative Index Provider.”
To get to this point, the index leadership team examined areas for organic growth while partnering with a wide range of financial institutions, asset managers, institutional investors and ETP strategists worldwide to bring index-linked ETPs, options, futures, structured products and other investment and derivative instruments to market.
“We have always looked at ways to improve and innovate in this space. The platform that we have created leverages our technology and scale, and allows us to bring these indexes to market for our customers very quickly,” said John Jacobs, EVP of NASDAQ OMX Global Information Services.
That technology is driven by a new global index calculator that is the processing engine behind the scenes, which pushes out the data. Fund managers, industry analysts and other professionals rely on key benchmark data to track the quality of their investment strategies.
Here are some highlights from NASDAQ OMX’s Global Index business:
- Brought the first cross border ETF to market in China (The Guotai NASDAQ-100 ETF)
- Partnered with Accretive Asset Management to co-brand and grow BulletShares, the first fixed-maturity corporate bond indexes
- Launched the NASDAQ International Buyback Index, a first-of-its-kind index that mirrors the investment thesis of the popular NASDAQ US Buyback Index
- Launched the NASDAQ US Rising Dividend Achievers Index, designed to include stocks that are best positioned to continue dividend increases
- Licensed 43 new ETPs to provide investors with unique and targeted exposure in equities and fixed income
- Assets Under Management in Exchange Trade Products based on NASDAQ OMX Indexes grew from $54.9B to $87.2B as of December 12, 2013, a net growth rate of 58.8%
Select ETF launches in 2013:
Click here to learn more about the ETFExpress award and NASDAQ OMX’s Index offering.