Goldcorp to Sell Marigold Mine - Analyst Blog

By
A A A

Gold miner Goldcorp Inc. ( GG ) announced that the company along with its joint venture partner Barrick Gold Corp. ( ABX ) will sell their respective stakes in Marigold mine in Humboldt County, Nev. to Silver Standard Resources Inc. ( SSRI ) for $275 million in cash.

The transaction is expected to close in Apr 2014. The completion of the transaction is subject to customary closing conditions, including regulatory approvals.

Both Goldcorp and Barrick invited a number of parties to conduct due diligence and put forth offers to buy Marigold. Marigold is jointly owned by Goldcorp and Barrick where the former is the operator with 66.7% stake while the latter holds the remaining 33.3% interest.

The sale of the mine is in line with Goldcorp's strategy of focusing on core assets, thereby creating value for shareholders. Barrick is selling its 33.3% interest in Marigold mine as part of its ongoing efforts to shed some higher-cost assets, thereby reducing debt burden. This acquisition will help Silver Standard to meet its goal of adding an operating mine in a well-established and low-risk mining jurisdiction.

Marigold, an open-pit gold mine, produced 162,000 ounces of gold in 2013 and is expected to produce between 142,000 and 150,000 ounces of gold this year, as reported by Goldcorp. Total proven and probable mineral reserves as of Dec 31, 2012, at the Marigold mine was 294.5 million tons. According to Goldcorp, Marigold has consistently produced more than 140,000 ounces of gold annually at gold recoveries in excess of 70%.

Goldcorp currently carries a Zacks Rank #3 (Hold).

A better-ranked stock in the gold mining industry is Lake Shore Gold Corp. ( LSG ) holding a Zacks Rank #2 (Buy).



BARRICK GOLD CP (ABX): Free Stock Analysis Report

GOLDCORP INC (GG): Free Stock Analysis Report

LAKE SHORE GOLD (LSG): Free Stock Analysis Report

SILVER STD RES (SSRI): Free Stock Analysis Report

To read this article on Zacks.com click here.

Zacks Investment Research



The views and opinions expressed herein are the views and opinions of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of The NASDAQ OMX Group, Inc.



This article appears in: Investing , Business , Stocks

Referenced Stocks: ABX , GG , LSG , SSRI

Zacks.com

Zacks.com

More from Zacks.com:

Related Videos

Voya – Babies Retirement
Voya – Babies Retirement            

Stocks

Referenced

Most Active by Volume

29,949,960
  • $8.46 ▲ 6.68%
28,214,475
  • $104.86 ▲ 1.82%
23,076,264
  • $16.70 ▲ 1.83%
22,072,828
  • $33.60 ▼ 2.61%
16,407,216
  • $12.48 ▼ 2.73%
15,608,779
  • $98.01 ▲ 1.70%
12,656,615
  • $80.02 ▲ 2.11%
11,351,985
  • $58.545 ▼ 16.64%
As of 10/23/2014, 11:07 AM

Find a Credit Card

Select a credit card product by:
Select an offer:
Search
Data Provided by BankRate.com