DuPont Closes Solae Deal - Analyst Blog

By
A A A

Chemical giant EI DuPont de Nemours & Co. ( DD ) announced the completion of the acquisition of the remaining portion of Solae, LLC joint venture from Bunge. Previously, DuPont owned 72% of the joint venture while the remaining 28% was owned by Bunge. DuPont entered into the joint venture in 2003 to expand its position in the food ingredients market.

A global leader in developing soy-based ingredients for nutritious and healthy products, Solae offers solutions that deliver a unique combination of functional, nutritional, economical and sustainable benefits to DuPont's customers.

DuPont believes the pre-tax earnings margins of its nutrition and health business will be closer to the upper end of its long-term target of 12%-14% with the full control of Solae. Besides, the company's customers will get the benefit of increased speed of innovation, food formulation and nutrition science capabilities across a vast range of specialty food ingredients.

Recently, DuPont reported adjusted earnings of $1.61 per share for the first quarter of 2012, exceeding the Zacks Consensus Estimate of $1.55. The earnings growth was primarily driven by strong performance in Agriculture and Performance Chemicals and the benefit of prior-year acquisitions in Nutrition & Health and Industrial Biosciences. Including one-time items (customer claim charges of $50 million), earnings came in at $1.57 per share versus $1.52 in the prior-year quarter. 

Sales grew 12% to $11,230 million in the first quarter, driven by price hikes and strong sales in the Agriculture segment. However, it missed the Zacks Consensus Estimate of $11,239 million. The sales volumes for Agriculture segment increased across all regions. However, sales volumes for other segments remained flat in Asia.

DuPont reiterated its full-year 2012 earnings outlook of $4.20 to $4.40 per share, an increase of 7% to 12% compared with 2011, excluding significant items. 

We currently have a long-term Neutral recommendation on DuPont. The company, which competes with The Dow Chemical Company ( DOW ) and BASF SE ( BASFY ) , maintains a Zacks #3 Rank, which translates into a short-term (1 to 3 months) Hold rating.


 
BASF SE (BASFY): Free Stock Analysis Report
 
DU PONT (EI) DE (DD): Free Stock Analysis Report
 
DOW CHEMICAL (DOW): Free Stock Analysis Report
 
To read this article on Zacks.com click here.
 
Zacks Investment Research



The views and opinions expressed herein are the views and opinions of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of The NASDAQ OMX Group, Inc.



This article appears in: Investing , Business , Stocks

Referenced Stocks: BASFY , DD , DOW , EI

Zacks.com

Zacks.com

More from Zacks.com:

Related Videos

The Diamond Cutter
The Diamond Cutter                  

Stocks

Referenced

50%
86%

Most Active by Volume

56,834,794
    $15.52 unch
47,736,761
  • $94.72 ▲ 0.83%
41,992,984
  • $2.47 ▲ 11.76%
40,893,734
  • $34.7901 ▲ 2.14%
39,324,803
  • $69.27 ▼ 0.19%
39,276,613
  • $7.28 ▲ 2.68%
39,084,483
  • $44.83 ▼ 0.01%
33,527,212
  • $26.02 ▲ 0.15%
As of 7/22/2014, 04:03 PM