DISH Network Suffers a Setback - Analyst Blog

By
A A A

Recently, DISH Network Corp. ( DISH ) suffered a setback as Standard & Poor's Rating Services (S&P) lowered its outlook on the company to Stable from Positive. The rating agency cited growing leverage of DISH coupled with uncertainty related to its wireless venture, as the primary reasons for this outlook downgrade. However, the S&P reiterated its existing corporate credit rating of DISH at "BB-", which is three notches into the rating agency's junk category.

Although DISH received the FCC approval to deploy a nationwide wireless network, it came with a restrictive condition. The FCC stated that DISH may start installing its nationwide wireless network using a truncated power level than what the company was initially holding. A reduction in DISH's frequency level is required to avoid interference with an adjacent PCS H Block frequency that FCC will auction in 2013.

DISH's plan for the wireless spectrum is not yet clear. Management said it may try to collaborate with several established telecom or tech companies to jointly establish a wireless network or it may even sell its airwaves for simple monetary gain. Recently, DISH decided to raise $1 billion of debt for general corporate purposes, which may include wireless and spectrum-related strategic transactions.    

In Jan 2013, DISH offered to purchase the remaining 49% stake of 4G WiMAX wholesalers Clearwire Corp. ( CLWR ) for $3.30 per share. In Dec 2012, Sprint Nextel Corp. ( S ), the 51% shareholder of Clearwire, proposed a $2.97 per share bid to acquire the remaining 49% of Clearwire. DISH's proposal has a total consideration of $5.15 billion and includes several conditions.

DISH is the second largest satellite TV operator in the U.S. after DIRECTV Inc. ( DTV ). The pay-TV market is quickly becoming saturated and is highly competitive. In order to diversify its business model, DISH has decided to enter into the wireless market. Currently, DISH has a Zacks Rank #3 (Hold).  



CLEARWIRE CORP (CLWR): Free Stock Analysis Report

DISH NETWORK CP (DISH): Free Stock Analysis Report


DIRECTV (DTV): Free Stock Analysis Report

SPRINT NEXTEL (S): Free Stock Analysis Report

To read this article on Zacks.com click here.

Zacks Investment Research



The views and opinions expressed herein are the views and opinions of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of The NASDAQ OMX Group, Inc.




This article appears in: Investing , Business , Stocks

Referenced Stocks: CLWR , DISH , DTV , S

Zacks.com

Zacks.com

More from Zacks.com:

Related Videos

Visualizing Healthcare MG
Visualizing Healthcare MG           
Power on/Power Off IPC
Power on/Power Off IPC              
Spot the Dropout RRC
Spot the Dropout RRC                
Power on/Power Off
Power on/Power Off                  

Stocks

Referenced

69%
79%

Most Active by Volume

105,858,039
  • $10.50 ▲ 3.04%
105,433,684
  • $29.22 ▲ 4.62%
72,716,790
  • $16.36 ▼ 0.49%
51,381,067
  • $113.29 ▲ 0.33%
47,443,661
  • $2.39 ▲ 4.82%
45,387,229
  • $5.78 ▲ 0.87%
45,001,566
  • $105.62 ▼ 0.02%
42,379,286
  • $28.42 ▲ 2.53%
As of 8/28/2015, 04:15 PM

Find a Credit Card

Select a credit card product by:
Select an offer:
Search
Data Provided by BankRate.com