Consumer Stocks Still Rising Near Closing Bell; CBS Outdoor Climbing After Favorable IRS Ruling

By
A A A

Top Consumer Stocks

WMT +0.30%

MCD -0.11%

DIS +1.43%

CVS +0.68%

KO +0.97%

Consumer stocks were climbing Wednesday with shares of consumer staples companies in the S&P 500 advancing 0.9% while shares of consumer discretionary firms in the S&P 500 were up 1.2% this afternoon.

In company news, CBS Outdoor Americas Inc. ( CBSO ) climbed to a post-IPO high Wednesday afternoon after saying the Internal Revenue Service has approved the billboard company's bid to convert to a real estate investment trust.

CBSO completed an initial public offering of 19% of its shares earlier this month. Majority owner and former corporate parent CBS ( CBS ) plans to divest its remaining 81% stake through a tax-free split-off later this year, setting the stage for CBSO to complete its conversion into a REIT.

CBSO shares were ahead 5.9% at $30.74 each heading into Wednesday's close, earlier topping out at $31.50 a share. CBS was up 1.3% at $59.93 a share in recent trade.

In other sector news,

(+) SODA, Reportedly in talks to sell up to a 16% equity stake to a U.S. soft-drink firm, with the buyer paying $52 a share - a 30% premium - while receiving options that eventually could give it a majority interest, writes Calcalist, an Israeli business daily.

(-) LEN, Homebuilder stocks decline after new-home construction during March grew less than expected while building permits fell last month, slipping 2.4% to an annual rate of 990,000 units.



The views and opinions expressed herein are the views and opinions of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of The NASDAQ OMX Group, Inc.

Copyright (C) 2014 MTNewswires.com. All rights reserved. Unauthorized reproduction is strictly prohibited.


This article appears in: Investing , Commodities

Referenced Stocks: CBS , CBSO

MT Newswires

MT Newswires

More from MT Newswires:

Related Videos

Stocks

Referenced

Most Active by Volume

113,590,482
  • $14.98 ▼ 1.77%
57,689,941
  • $94.67 ▼ 0.37%
51,501,990
  • $3.31 ▼ 2.07%
46,645,770
  • $96.13 ▲ 0.55%
42,212,567
  • $72.36 ▼ 0.40%
39,428,076
  • $25.35 ▲ 0.80%
36,799,747
    $37 unch
36,459,390
  • $44.13 ▼ 2.35%
As of 8/1/2014, 04:03 PM