Ciena Corporation (CIEN): New Analyst Report from Zacks Equity Research - Zacks Equity Research Report

By
A A A

Summary:
Ciena reported a disappointing first-quarter fiscal 2014 with both earnings and revenue missing the Zacks Consensus Estimates. The company provided cautious second-quarter revenue guidance as order growth is also expected to be sluggish, going forward. We believe that increasing spending on optical upgrades and higher number of orders from international customers will boost top-line growth in fiscal 2014. Moreover, the company's Tier 1 contract wins and strong backlog are expected to boost near-term results. However, higher operating expenses remain a concern. Although Ciena expects to improve its operating leverage, we believe that any decline in top-line growth particularly due to increasing competition will negatively impact profitability, going forward. Thus, we remain Neutral and set a price target of $24.00.

Overview:

Founded in 1992 and based in Linthicum, Md., Ciena Corp. (CIEN) is a provider of optical networking equipment, software and services. During the fourth quarter of fiscal 2013, the company announced that it is shifting listing from Nasdaq to New York Stock Exchange, effective Dec 23, 2013.

Ciena's Packet-Optical Transport, Packet-Optical Switching and Carrier Ethernet Solutions enable network operators to offer efficient transmission of communication services to businesses and consumers. The company's technology aims at addressing key issues such as scalability, increased services, capital expenditure minimization and rising operating costs faced by service providers.

Ciena earned revenues of $2.1 billion in fiscal 2013. Beginning first quarter of fiscal 2013, the company reorganized its reporting segments to (1) Converged Packet-Optical (2) Packet Networking (3) Optical Transport and (4) Software and Services.

The Converged Packet-Optical (57.0% of 2013 revenues) segment includes networking solutions optimized for the convergence of coherent optical transport, Optical Transport Network (OTN) switching and packet switching. Its principal products include the 6500 packet-optical platform, CoreDirector multiservice optical switches, 5430 reconfigurable switching system and OTN configuration for the 5410 reconfigurable switching system.

The Packet Networking (10.7% of 2013 revenues) segment includes the 3000 family of service delivery switches and service aggregation switches, the 5000 series of service aggregation switches and Carrier Ethernet packet configuration for the 5410 service aggregation switch.

The Optical Transport (11.2% of 2013 revenues) segment includes optical transport solutions that add capacity to core, regional and metro networks and enable cost-effective and efficient transport of voice, video and data traffic at high transmission speeds. Its principal products include the 4200 advanced services platform, Corestream agility optical transport system, 5100/5200 advanced services platform, Common Photonic Layer (CPL) and 6100 multiservice optical platform.

The Software and Services (21.1% of 2013 revenues) segment includes unified service and network management software facilitating planned network maintenance, outage detection and identification of customers or services affected by network troubles. The segment includes sales of ON-Center Network & Service Management Suite, integrated network and service management software and the Preside and OMEA software platforms acquired from the MEN Business. The segment also includes services related offerings such as installation and deployment, maintenance support, consulting, network design and training activities.

The company's largest customer AT&T accounted for 17.9% of fiscal 2013 revenues. Revenues from the customers in the United States comprised 58.5% of fiscal 2013 revenues, while International revenues accounted for the remaining 41.5%. The company operates in the United States and Canada, Caribbean and Latin America, Europe, Middle East and Africa (EMEA) and Asia Pacific.


Ciena Corporation (CIEN): Read the Full Research Report

CIENA CORP (CIEN): Free Stock Analysis Report

To read this article on Zacks.com click here.

Zacks Investment Research



The views and opinions expressed herein are the views and opinions of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of The NASDAQ OMX Group, Inc.



This article appears in: Investing , Stocks

Referenced Stocks: CIEN , CPL

Zacks.com

Zacks.com

More from Zacks.com:

Related Videos

Stocks

Referenced

57%
100%

Most Active by Volume

55,414,702
  • $15.38 ▼ 0.39%
38,503,210
  • $66.34 ▲ 2.26%
36,466,704
  • $8.36 ▼ 9.52%
35,253,294
  • $26.55 ▲ 1.34%
32,752,347
  • $6.55 ▲ 1.87%
31,778,001
  • $95.22 ▲ 0.19%
28,396,556
  • $51.49 ▼ 0.62%
23,800,987
  • $42.09 ▲ 0.97%
As of 7/11/2014, 04:03 PM