Could 3D printing be set for another big year in 2014? Or will startups push the major players aside?
3D printing stocks have had an incredible year. The largest 3D printing manufacturer by market cap - 3D Systems (DDD) – returned 153% in 2013, one of the top performing stocks on any index.
Not to be entirely outdone, the second largest, Stratasys (SSYS) recently secured $30 million in series 3 funding, spearheaded by the prestigious venture capital firm Andreessen Horowitz.
Investors in 3D printing stocks don't see a pull-back any time soon. Quite the opposite, short covering swelled throughout Q3 into the fall. And despite sky-high valuations for many of these companies (3D Systems trades at 176 times next year's earnings) new investors still remain eager to join in.
Partners at Andreessen Horowitz just don't think that 3D printing is done revolutionizing the prototyping industry yet. And while some firms market to consumers while others market to manufacturers like Ford Motors (F) – there are many ancillary industries who stand to benefit from another big year for 3D printing.
Software companies in computer aided design like Autodesk (ADSK), or prototyping components firms such as Proto Labs (PRLB) could see a boost from the popularity in 3D printing stocks well into next year.
Learn more about 3D printing with our infographic for even more investing ideas in this booming industry.
Click on the interactive chart to view monthly returns over time.
Do you see investing opportunities among any of these 3D printing stocks? Use the list below as a starting point for your own analysis.
1. Hewlett-Packard Company (HPQ, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Offers various products, technologies, software, solutions, and services to individual consumers and small- and medium-sized businesses (SMBs), as well as to the government, health, and education sectors worldwide. Market cap at $52.65B, most recent closing price at $26.90.
2. 3D Systems Corp. (DDD, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Engages in the design, development, manufacture, marketing, and servicing of 3D printers and related products, print materials, and services. Market cap at $8.37B, most recent closing price at $81.29
3. Stratasys Inc. (SSYS, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Engages in the development, manufacture, and marketing of three dimensional (3D) printing, rapid prototyping (RP), and direct digital manufacturing (DDM) systems primarily in North America, Europe, and the Asia Pacific. Market cap at $5.76B, most recent closing price at $117.92.
4. Voxeljet AG (VJET, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Provides three-dimensional (3D) printers and on-demand parts services. Market cap at $356.39M, most recent closing price at $37.32.
5. The ExOne Company (XONE, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Engages in the development, manufacture, and sale of three dimensional printing machines and printing products in the Americas, Europe, and Asia. Market cap at $757.62M, most recent closing price at $51.75.
6. Proto Labs, Inc. (PRLB, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Manufactures computer numerical control (CNC) machined and injection molded custom parts for prototyping and short-run production. Market cap at $1.69B, most recent closing price at $66.58.
7. Autodesk, Inc. (ADSK, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Provides design software and service solutions to customers in architecture, engineering, and construction; manufacturing; and digital media and entertainment industries. Market cap at $10.72B, most recent closing price at $47.19.
8. PTC, Inc. (PTC, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Develops software products and solutions in computer-aided design, product lifecycle management, application lifecycle management, and supply chain management. Market cap at $3.58B, most recent closing price at $32.53.
9. Ansys, Inc. (ANSS, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Engages in the development and marketing of engineering simulation software and services used by engineers and designers in aerospace, automotive, manufacturing, electronics, biomedical, energy, and defense industries. Market cap at $7.84B, most recent closing price at $85.51.
(List compiled by James Dennin. Monthly returns sourced from Zacks Investment Research, all other data sourced from Finviz.)
Analyze These Ideas: Getting Started